Friday, July 11, 2008

Updates from Iowa

Sorry - no pictures today. Kayren has confiscated my camera, so I am picture-less. Anyway, we are still working on getting the moldy sheet rock out of the basement. I think we have one wall left. When all the sheet rock is gone, and we have sprayed for the mold, we can turn the air conditioning back on. Yes!! Today will be 92 degrees with 80% humidity. These last two weeks have not been fun without air. We are spoiled, I know. But, air conditioning makes everything easier - breathing, sleeping, working, cooking, etc. I like it!

A friend showed me a wonderful alternative to bleach for getting rid of the mold. It is hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda and lemon juice. I was skeptical but was willing because it is such a cheap alternative! I sprayed an especially black area with the stuff, and it didn't do anything. Disappointed, I went upstairs to check on a couple of things. About 15 minutes later I came down to re-assess, and the black was GONE! Unbelievable. My wall was white again. This stuff is non-toxic, and I can apply it because it doesn't burn my esophagus. I was thrilled. It kills the mold and mildew, and gets rid of the smell. And it is so cheap! I like that part too. It is supposed to clean up all kinds of ugliness - pet decorations, etc.

Jathan is getting his wisdom teeth pulled today. He will be out of commission for a while! He is glad to finally get it done because they have been bothering him for some time.

We will be working on rebuilding the basement bathroom this weekend. The laundry room is back in order (a great help to our family!).

Anyway - lots more work to do.

I need to get to work.

No comments: