Thursday, August 28, 2008

The joy of irons

Who would have thought? When you send your children off to college, this interesting phenomenon occurs. Suddenly, all of the regular tools for family living become individualized - or better worded - confiscated! Most of the time, I don't really care because these items are replaceable. However, there are a few items that I find myself strangely attached to, not because they are so grand, but because we have this understanding. I have this strange relationship with my iron. I know how hot it gets, how quickly; which setting to use for each particular shirt or skirt; and have become quite satisfied with its function.

Each of the last few years, when Jathan, Kesse and now Kyrie have left home, they have taken my iron with them. This is good - because it gives the parent the hope that their offspring really will iron something, and will actually care if something is too wrinkly to wear. However, in my old age, I am breaking in a new one, and I have realized that I AM old and grumpy about such things. Who would have thought? In the end, though, I find that the toil of ironing clothes, early in the morning, with a new iron, really brings the opportunity to be thankful to the Lord, for children in college, who have irons to use, on clothes that we have been given in abundance, and that I have the wherewithal to be able to get another one!

No comments: